Uni speak


Academic record
An official record of all subjects and results gained from secondary, post-secondary or tertiary studies.
You have been made an offer into a course, if you accept your offer you are telling the University that you want to start studying. The University will then admit you to your course. Accepting your offer means that you accept the University’s terms and conditions and you agree to abide by the University’s rules.
Additional selection criteria
These are compulsory requirements either in addition to, or instead of, the normal admission requirements which you must meet to be considered for selection into the course. Examples include interviews, portfolios, supporting statements, questionnaires and tests.
Formal entry to a course.
Admission requirements
The minimum qualifications required for you to be considered for entry to a particular course. Entry into many courses is competitive. The attainment of minimum qualifications does not guarantee you will be offered a place.
Before you can start studying you must be formally admitted to your course. You need to accept your offer of admission to be admitted to your course. Once you are admitted to your course you are a candidate for your degree.
Advanced standing
Prior study or experience which has been completed and which is assessed as having some academic value to your intended course. This means that you will not have to study the units for which advanced standing has been granted.
Associate degree
A two-year course which is a qualification in its own right or a direct path to a linked SCU Bachelor degree.
Australian fee paying
If you are an Australian fee paying student, the Australian Government provides a Commonwealth Assistance Scheme that enables you to defer your tuition fees rather than paying them up-front. To take advantage of this scheme you need to complete a Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) called a FEE-Help form. Some conditions do apply. For more information you should visit the Government’s website: Go to Study Assist.
Australian Tertiary Admission Rank which replaced the Universities Admission Index (UAI) in 2009.
When you successfully complete your course at SCU, an award is conferred upon you at graduation and you are allowed to use the letters after your name in official documentation (for example, John Citizen, MBA or Jane Citizen, BEnvSci). These award initials stand for the degree you completed (for example Master of Business Administration or Bachelor of Environmental Science). Some higher degrees also confer the right to use of a title such as Dr.

Bachelor degree
An undergraduate award requiring three or four years full-time (or equivalent part-time) study at a university.
Bridging course
Course to enable you to achieve the required level of assumed knowledge needed for enrolment in a particular academic program.

Census date
The census date is the date on which your unit enrolment is finalised and reported to the Government. If you withdraw from a unit after census date you will incur the full cost of the unit and academic penalties. Each unit of study in a study period at Southern Cross University has a census date. Once you have enrolled in a unit, you can see the census date in: My Enrolment > My Study Plans > Current Enrolment You can also find census dates at SCU census dates.
Class timetable
The online class timetable is published approximately four weeks before the study period begins. You can narrow your search by unit, location and study period. You will receive an email in your SCU email account advising you when the timetable is published. Go to SCU timetables.
Combined degree
A degree course combining two fields of study. A single award (testamur) is received. An example of a combined degree is Bachelor of Environmental Science/Bachelor of Marine Science and Management.
Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF)
This is a Government form. If you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported Place, you must submit a HECS-HELP form even if you intend to pay your HECS up-front. If you have been offered a fee-paying place, you may be eligible to complete a FEE-HELP form and defer your tuition fees. Most students will be required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) and you can choose to defer this fee too by completing an SA-HELP form. For more information about the Government HELP schemes, visit the Study Assist website.
Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP)
The federal government provides Commonwealth support to most Australian citizens, permanent residents and New Zealand citizens enrolled in undergraduate and some postgraduate degrees. For each unit a Commonwealth supported student undertakes toward their degree, the federal government pays part of the cost and the student pays the rest.
Students who have a Commonwealth Supported Place can either defer or pay for all or part of their student contribution if eligible under that scheme.
The amount students pay (called the student contribution amount) is determined by the units of study selected by the student. This will vary according to the ‘band’ the federal government has nominated for particular units.
The minimum selection rank required for entry to a course in a particular year. Cut-offs may vary from year to year.

(See award).
Decline your offer
You have been made an offer into a course, if you decline your offer you are telling the University that your circumstances have changed and you do not want to start the course after all. Once you have declined your offer, you will need to submit a new application for admission if you wish to start the course in the future.
Defer your fees
Australian citizens who supply a tax file number on their Commonwealth Assistance Form have the option of deferring their fees on a study period by study period basis by using a HELP-Loan. If you choose to defer your fees, they will be collected by the Australian Taxation Office once your annual income reaches a specified threshold level. For more information about HELP loans, visit the Study Assist website.
Defer your offer
You have been made an offer into a course, if you have been offered a Commonwealth Supported place you are allowed to defer your offer. If you defer your offer you are telling the University that your circumstances have changed and you are unable to start your studies this year, but that you would like to start the course next year instead. You will automatically receive an offer into the same course for the next calendar year. Do not confuse deferring your offer (delaying the start of your studies) with deferring your fees (using a Government Loan Scheme to pay your fees).
(See award).
Distance education
Distance education is also known as external mode, if you study by distance education you do not need to attend on-campus classes. Distance education students are well supported by specialist staff, online study materials and virtual classrooms where you can interact with your lecturer and other distance education students. Although you do not have to attend regular on-campus classes as a distance education student, sometimes a unit will require you to attend a residential workshop. When you enrol in a distance education unit, make sure that you read the unit information guide in MySCU to find out about any residential requirements.
Double degree
An award encompassing two main fields of study. Two awards (testamurs) are received upon completion. An example of a double degree is Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Laws.

See Commonwealth Assistance Form.
Enrol in Units
Each study period you will undertake a number of units (individual subjects) in accordance with your course rules. You enrol in your units for the full year, enrolling is the action of selecting where, when and how you choose to study your units. You will self enrol in your units using My Enrolment. You will receive an email to your SCU email advising you when enrolment opens.

Gold Coast campus.
General Offer Conditions
See Offer Conditions.
Grade Point average (GPA)
A statistic used to assess the success of students in their studies. An average of the student’s grades in all subjects attempted in a particular course.
Graduate entry
Related to a course which is restricted to students who already hold a first Bachelor level degree in a relevant or associated discipline.

See Commonwealth Supported.
A higher award completed by above average students usually involving an additional year of study to the degree in which the student is originally enrolled e.g. Bachelor of Arts with Honours.

Lapse date
The date by which you must respond to your offer. If you do nothing by the lapse date, then the offer will lapse automatically and you will need to submit a new application for admission if you wish to commence studies.
Learning site
Every unit in which you enrol has an online learning site. It is critical to your studies that you can enter your learning site(s). Your learning site contains a Unit Information Guide which will give you your assignment and assessment tasks, due dates and important information about the unit. Your learning site(s) also contain various other online resources and contact details for your Unit Assessor. You will find your learning sites inside MySCU.

Mixed mode
Courses may be taught via a combination of delivery modes e.g. distance education, on campus and online.
The way in which a course is delivered to students. For example, on campus or distance education, or a mixture of one or more methods (mixed mode).
My Enrolment
My Enrolment is the University’s student management system; it contains your official student record. Your access into this system enables you to self-manage your studies; it is where you will officially self-enrol in your units, self-register into on-campus classes at the beginning of a study period and get your official results at the end. You will use My Enrolment for a lot of important tasks throughout your studies at SCU so take the time to get to know your way around it now. Go to My Enrolment.
MySCU is the secure intranet available to all students. You login to MySCU from the public website. It provides you with a portal into all the key services you will need as a student studying at SCU (for example the library). Most importantly it contains your Learning Site. Go to MySCU.

The study of units that does not result in an award.

Your formal offer to study a course at SCU. Your offer contains important details including the name of the course, the location where you’ll be studying, the SCU School/College offering your course and the year, the study period when you’ll start and any offer conditions your offer may have. It also contains the SCU student number that has been allocated to you.
On-campus study is also known as internal mode, if you study on-campus you are expected to attend on-campus classes.
Overall Position (OP)
Is a number from 1 to 25 and is a measure of academic achievement in the Queensland Senior Certificate. It assists institutions in Queensland to rank applicants for selection to university.

A program of study undertaken by a student who already holds a university degree at Bachelor level or higher.
Studies since leaving high school but not including university studies. For example, on the job training/studies, TAFE study and studies with other training providers.
If your application is made through UAC or QTAC you will have the chance to list more than one course (nine through UAC, six through QTAC). These are called your ‘preferences’. The list indicates the order in which you want your preferred courses to be considered.
The minimum requirement(s) an applicant must satisfy to be considered for entry to a particular course. This may include a portfolio or interview, employment, or a previously completed qualification such as a diploma. Southern Cross University does not require prerequisites for entry to most of its undergraduate courses.

Queensland Tertiary Admissions Centre.

Recommended studies
Senior or HSC level subjects that would be beneficial for a student undertaking a particular university course.

Schedule of Units
The Schedule of Units (SOU) lists, alphabetically by the Unit Name, all units planned to be taught at SCU in a particular study period. The SOU is updated daily and reflects the most up-to-date information about unit availabilities. Go to Schedule of Units.
SCU email
SCU provides you with a University email address. It is SCU policy that we will only send official communications to your SCU Email account — we will not send them to any other email address. It is therefore very important to regularly check your SCU Email account. It is possible for you to set up your SCU Email account to forward all emails to your personal email account, but this will not happen automatically, you must set this up yourself. Go to SCU Email.
The academic year for undergraduate courses is divided into sessions. Session 1 begins mid-February and runs until late May. Session 2 runs from mid-June until early October. Session 3 runs from mid-October until early February (see key dates).
Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT)
A two-hour aptitude test to enable applicants to demonstrate their ability to understand and think critically about issues. Results are used for admission assessment.
Student number
Your SCU student number is unique to you. You will be asked for your student number many times during your time at SCU and you will use it to access some SCU systems. It can be found in your offer — make sure you keep it somewhere safe.
Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)
SSAF is a compulsory fee for non-academic related student services and amenities, such as employment and career advice, counselling services, childcare, financial advice, food facilities etc. This fee is charged in Session 1 and Session 2 only and the amount you pay is dependent on your study load and location. For more information please go to the SSAF site.
Study Period
See sessions.
Study plan
Your study plan in My Enrolment follows your course structure — any core units (compulsory Part A units) will already be planned for you and you will be able to see them individually on your study plan. Where you must make a decision (for example choosing a Part B major or choosing a Part C elective and so forth) your study plan will contain an “Option” line. When you enrol in a unit or complete a unit successfully, it will remain on your study plan but its status will change allowing you to keep track of your progression through the course requirements.

Tertiary study
Study undertaken after secondary education has been completed at, for example, a university.
Tertiary preparation courses
Courses offered as a preparation for tertiary study. They are usually undertaken by students with insufficient formal entry qualifications, or who have not participated in formal education for some time.
An academic transcript is a copy of your academic record to date. It lists the subjects you have studied and all the grades.

Universities Admissions Centre (covers NSW and ACT).
The Universities Admission Index was a measure of academic achievement in the HSC that assisted institutions in NSW and the ACT to rank applicants for selection to university. It has now been replaced by the Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR). The Queensland equivalent is called the Overall Position (OP).
Course of study generally undertaken by first-time university students which generally results in the awarding of an Associate degree, Bachelor degree, combined degree or double degree award.
University-wide majors
A series of units undertaken from a discipline area outside the focus of a degree.
Every course at SCU is made up of a series of units (individual subjects that you will study). Enrolling in one or two units in a study period is considered a part-time load. Enrolling in three or four units in a single study period is considered a full-time load. Most (but not all) Bachelor Degrees are made up of 24 units.
Unit information guide
Every unit has a unit information guide. When you enrol into a unit, you will gain access into your Learning Site in MySCU. Inside your Learning Site you will find your unit information guide. It will provide you with the details of the assessments and due dates for your assignments, the details of any exams or residentials you must attend and the text books you will need. You will usually find a suggested study plan for the unit that will help you to plan your work. Its an important document and you should read it thoroughly when you first start a unit.
Unit Learning Site
See learning site.
University place
When you accept your offer of admission to Southern Cross University, you will be “occupying a place”. If you decline your offer, the place becomes free and we can re-offer it to another applicant.
Back to Top
For a better experience while using this website, upgrade your Internet browser to a more recent version.